General Money Saving Tips
Looking for a Wedding Professional
Top 5 Things
Chinese Wedding Timeline Sample
Feeding Your Vendors
50 Tips for a Green Wedding
Green Wedding
Gone But Not Forgotten
Honeymoon Planner
Choosing a Florist
Florist Worksheet
Wedding Floral Trends
Do-It-Yourself Flowers
Flowers on a Shoestring Budget
DIY Flowers
Catering Worksheet
Catering Tips & Questions
Serve Your Event Sunny-Side Up
Chair Covers
Your Wedding Wine
Cake Order Worksheet
Selecting a Bakery
Working with Your Baker
Candies/Favours Worksheet
Thinking About A Chocolate Fountain
Videographer's Worksheet
Why Don't All Wedding Videographers Cost the Same?
8 Things You Should Know Before You Hire Your Videographer
Choosing a Photographer
Photographer's Checklist
Clothing & Posing for Engagement Portraits
Oh No, Not Another Photo Montage
Planning for Great Photography
Wedding Coordinator Tips
Transportation Tips
Your Wedding Day Make-up
Bridal Hair for the Big Day
Honeymoon Makeup
Destination Wedding Makeup Tips
Beauty Regime
Getting Burned
History of Hairstyles
How to Choose a Hairstyle
Pre-Marriage Classes
Officiant Tips & Questions
Stress Free Ceremonies
Officiant Tips
Ceremony Location
Wedding Stationery
Processional Music
Recessional Music
Butterfly Releases
Wedding Gown Shopping Tips
Wedding Dress Shopping
Working with a Designer or Seamstress
Care of Your Jewellery
Choosing Jewellery for Bridesmaids
Hiring a DJ
Music and Copyright Laws
Top 10 Question to Ask a DJ

Top Dance Track Samples
First Dance & Slow Song Samples
Learning To Dance
Bride & Groom Trivia
Registry: Dare To Be Different
Healthy Eating
Effective Weight Loss
Yoga & Meditation

Babbling Brides Bulletin Board
Frugal Wedding Crafts
Frugal Feedback
Advertise With Us
About The Frugal Bride

Back to Home Page


All photographs supplied by
Elementz of Fotographie

Music and Copyright Laws
Article submitted by Debora Grice

Music at your Wedding

Copying music onto an iPod type device or burning custom cds is a great way to save money at your reception. BUT you should know that copying music for anything outside of your own personal listening does require a licence.

A SINGLE EVENT LICENCE is available from AVLA.

AVLA is a collective of the record labels and artists who own the copyright on their sound recordings. Buying a licence will allow you to make copies of their copyrighted sound recordings for your event. This has no relation to the SOCAN fees which are usually billed to you by the hall or venue.

What happens if you don't bother? AVLA has inspectors regularly visiting banquet halls and other liquor licensed establishments. Since illegal copying is a violation of the copyright laws, they have the right on behalf of the record labels to litigate for damages.

* DJs also require a licence from AVLA if they are burning their own custom cds or have music in a laptop. Make sure your dj is licensed and you will have one less worry on the day of your big event.

CD-Rs as Party Favours

You are heading down the wrong path if you have chosen to create compilations of favourite songs as wedding favours. Burning discs for anything other than your personal use is illegal, even if the discs are conceived as gifts. Basically, it infringes the rights of those involved in making the recordings.  While anyone would agree that music is an integral part of any special day, save the CD compilations for private use.

Bulletin Board | Frugal Wedding Crafts | Frugal Feedback | Advertise With Us | Site Index | Photo Galleries
Copyright © 2011